Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Gonna bet back into the mix

My year-long break from judging (USDAA-style agility) will be coming to an end soon. Of course, I picked one of THE largest shows as my first show back...I'll be judging Haute/TRACS 4-day show in north central California. They are hosting a DAM, Steeplechase and GP. Not to mention all the other classes for all levels. It'll be quite a circus, but I have no doubt the club will pull it off with grace.

Course, this means that I have to design courses again...ugh...now I remember what I dislike the most about judging. To begin with, courses need to be turned into reviewers a month ahead of time. So I have to start working on them a good month before then. For this show, I'm judging all levels (Starters, Advanced and Masters) so I have to design courses accordingly. I'm used to judging Masters primarily, so this is a challenge in and of itself.

I must admit that during my year-long hiatus I did NOT miss judging whatsoever. Instead, I was able to start Jam and bring her from nothing to MAD in 10 shows...had I been judging, I would've had to pick and choose shows to attend since I have to somehow maintain a balance between judging, showing, kids, husband and job. Now that I'm back judging, I'll have to choose again, which sucks. BUT, I am hoping that my break has given me a fresh perspective for judging, as my desire to stand out in the middle of a field during all kinds of weather for 8-9-10 hours was wearing thin.

Who knows...maybe I'll finish out the assignments I've accepted this year and decide to retire for good. For now, I'm hoping that I will get the same "buzz" I used to get when I was a "newbie" judge back in 1994. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Elf said...

Cool! Then I'll see you at Haute TRACS; I'm entered Thurs thru Sat with both my dogs.

-ellen