Friday, February 1, 2008

Puppy envy

I am having serious puppy envy. So many people I know are either getting new puppies or have just gotten one. I want a new puppy SO BAD! I still refer to Jam as "my puppers" but she is 2 and isn't a pup...though she certainly acts like one every single day!

I am on a list for a litter of pups that was to be ready to go home late spring. I have been bugging the contact I have who knows the breeder and he got back to me yesterday letting me know that the bitch (er, female dog!) is in season!!!! I am SO excited! It'll be a Border Collie/American Staffordshire Terrier mix...in other words, a Border/Staffy. Basically I'll get a short dog with drive...which is my ideal. I already have a short dog with drive (Jam) whom I adore, but I want another! I'd get another Toller (which is what Jam is) but there are no guarantees that I'll get another Toller as short as Jam...Jam's height (or lackthereof) is NOT normal.

My next step is to convince my dear husband that he really wants to add another dog to the household! I keep reminding him that when I met him, I had 4 dogs...that should've been an indication that I really, REALLY like dogs and didn't mind having that many. When we married, we added his dog into the mix so we had 5 total. We rapidly went down to 1 (Calvin...my stepdog) and are now sitting at 2. I personally think 3 is ideal. Not to mention that by the time this new pup is ready to compete, Jam'll most likely have attained or be close to her Championship in USDAA-style agility and I'll be ready to let the girls run her in Junior Handler matches.

Now that I've typed it out, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me, don't you think?!

Most agility-folk that I know have upwards of 5 - 6 dogs. Granted, they don't have kids, but what's 3 dogs when you already have 2...! :) I have no doubt that my husband will see my way...it's just gonna be quite a battle, but one that I am willing to fight!

2 comments:

wishy the writer said...

I think 3 dogs is perfect. We have four. We have a 7 year old kiddo bugging us daily saying (and scribbling all over our house) "I heart R.B.C.'s" Or, "I love red border collies." She wants one terribly. But we don't want 5 dogs AND we're that strange breed of folks who really don't like puppies. I like to pet others' puppies, but for me, they are like babies, they just seem like a lot of work with no common sense. I love that my husband's 2yo bc finally can be a little calm once in a great while. No pups for me for a long, long, while, hopefully. But our kiddo does ask often how long our old dogs will live (how sick is that?).

Karen said...

I personally think 4 is a good number, but my dear, non-agility spouse does not!
My girls aren't nearly as dog-crazy as yours, though I did mention to Dani that she could run Jam in agility someday...would she like that? She nodded in agreement but said she was too young right now. I told her she wasn't, but I'm not ready to give Jam to her right now! :)
Puppies are a challenge, to be sure, but I'm up for it! :)