I've been taking Jam to see "Dr. Todd" for her structural issues. Dr. Todd specializes in canine acupuncture, chiropractic care and herboligy. He came highly recommended to me by many local agility folks. His office is a 2 hour drive from my house, but given the kudos he's received from so many, I decided to give him a try.
My first visit was in December. He evaluated Jam and discovered that her left pelvic bone was locked and the cause was an issue in her mid-back. He noted a few other issues as well. We originally went because of her diagnosis of elbow dysplasia in November. He evaluated her elbows, though he wasn't as concerned about them as he was about her hind-end issues. His initial assessment was grim. He was shocked that a pup of her age (she's a young 2) would have so many issues. I came away from that first appointment concerned, and with an armful of herbs.
The second visit was 3 weeks later. He noted some improvement and administered a treatment to her (chiropractic and acupuncture). He added another herb to increase her "Yin." I was encouraged, though guarded.
We had our 3rd appointment yesterday. He was AMAZED at her progress!! He could not believe how well she's doing! The mid-back issue is wayyy better and the elbow dysplasia is just about non-existent (it'll always be there, but the degree of severity is minimal). The only tightness she had was in her left hip. He was thrilled that she came around so quickly. Of course, I was pleased as punch! :)
I am continuing with the herbs, but won't have to see him again for another 6 weeks, and then most likely we'll fall into "maintenance mode" in which we'll see him once every 3 months or so.
I am so relieved!!! Jam is an awesome little girl. She has everything and more that I was looking for in a pup. She's energetic, got attitude, is smart and is so darn cute! If I could've crafted the perfect dog, Jam would be it. I am so lucky to have her in my life! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment