Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The vacation afterglow

Most people dread coming home from a vacation. Getting back into the grind can be daunting, but for me, it's been all right.

I think it's because while on vacation I gained some perspective and have applied some of what I gained to my daily life. For example, I am a yeller...I yell at my girls, I yell at my husband, I just yell. While on vacation, I realized that yelling is accomplishing nothing (with the exception of raising my blood pressure) and since I've been back, I haven't yelled once and the world has continued to turn!

I am also always in hurry to get things done. For example, around the house...I don't mind some clutter, but when it gets out of hand, I go crazy. We haven't quite put everything away since coming home so there is some clutter. Instead of cleaning it up right away, I decided it was more important for me to spend time with the girls and the dogs and have left all the crap untouched. I pick things up here and there when I'm able, but I'm not fixated on it.

These aren't huge revalations, but for me they are a good place to start. I also found out after I came back from vacation that I will have some form of employment when my job at my current company officially ends March 4. I have been able to line up a contract gig and am pretty happy with that. I think underlying everything has been the fact that I would be jobless...I never panicked about it, but it's always been there...in the back of my mind.

It's the little things. And I'm working on it! :)

1 comment:

wishy the writer said...

Impressive! Vacations never make me quite so wise as you seem after yours! I'm impressed.

I'm a yeller, too. I think I need a vacation to change my yellin' ways. (Okay, that aint happening, so I guess I'll just try to yell less anyway.--Notice, I didn't say I won't yell. I said I'll yell *less.* )

I've noticed the same thing, tho, that my yelling doesn't really get me anywhere. So why do I keep doing it?