Monday, January 7, 2008

Reflections on a show weekend

My club hosted a USDAA show this weekend. I, unfortunately, was quite sick. I came down with a wicked cold and by Saturday, it was pretty bad. I did show Jam, but took a few naps in between classes. By Sunday, I felt better and was actually able to work!

The rain held off, thank goodness! We had a brief shower Saturday afternoon and some misty rain early Sunday, but it had all tapered off by the time we started running.

Jam did great! We had our issues, but she did great nonetheless. She got her first Grand Prix qualifier! :) She needs one more to participate in the USDAA Nationals. We have a few more chances to get one so I'm hoping we'll be able to do so before the cut-off. She also earned a Master Jumpers Q, a Master Pairs Q and another Snooker Q. She is only 2 legs shy of her MAD (Masters Agility Dog) title! I'm so incredibly proud of her!!

She did have some weave pole issues though, so we'll be working on that in the next few weeks. She also got really silly on me during a Masters Standard run...all I could do was laugh at her!

Given all of Jam's structural issues, I cherish every single show I get to compete with her. She has elbow dysplasia and issues with a locked sacrum (pelvis) which stems from a very tight mid-back. I've been taking her to a holistic vet who specializes in chiropractic and acupunture therapy. He also has Jam on some herbs to help with her "Yin" whatever that is! She still runs with glee, but I am very careful with her and don't overdo.

All in all a good show. We really had fun, even though I couldn't breath through my nose the entire time!

1 comment:

wishy the writer said...

Glad you had a great time, but hope you feel better!

Best,

Wishy