Thursday, July 5, 2007

Celebrating the 4th in 110+ degree temps!

Yup...it was 115 here for the 4th. Not much you can do outside when it's that hot. We did spend some time in the pool (the pool temp was 92!) so that helped us to beat the heat somewhat. We also BBQ'ed, though we didn't spend any significant time sitting outside. Just too hot.

At night, we drove to the fireworks display of a nearby town. We ended up parking on the side of the road to watch a display 1 mile away. I brought a blanket and we all sat on the hood of the SUV while the fireworks boomed and popped in front of us. By that time, it was only 97...woohoo!

I have fond memories of fireworks displays and 4th of July celebrations from the midwest (Wisconsin). I used to picnic with friends on the lake front (Lake Michigan) for the big Milwaukee fireworks display on the 3rd of July. We were so close to the launch area, that burnt-out shells would rain on our heads! It was fabulous. Good friends, good food, good fun and great fireworks!

On the 4th, our small village had their own celebration. A parade, games at the village park, BBQ's, and the fireworks display that evening followed by more parties with friends and family.

I told my husband that one of these years, I want to take the kids back to Wisconsin for a good old fashioned 4th. I'm not too thrilled with how we have to celebrate in the hot desert...I'd like them to see how to "properly" celebrate the Fabulous 4th!

No comments: